Wednesday 22 August 2012

It's so hot!


I’m Dutch, for the ones who didn’t knew. And one characteristic of Dutch people is that they can talk about the weather. By talking I mean complaining. In winters it is to cold, in autumn there is to much rain, in Spring there are to much pollen in the air. At this very moment it is summer in Holland. Last weekend is was 35 degrees over there, the hottest weekend since 1976. But that is not good, because no one can concentrate at work, you need a lots of water to cool down and the elderly people die because of the warmth.

Me, the Dutchwomen, is not complaining about the winter weather here in Cape town. I think this weather is great for winter. There are lots of sun which is really nice to sit in with shorts. But I think it is the cold inside the buildings and the darkness in the evenings, that makes me sad. It is normal that it is dark early in winters, I know. But when I came here, sunset in Holland was at 10.30 pm. I am here now for two months and I’m still not used to 6.30 pm. See there I go again, complaining... Lets try to be positive; The thing that I like the most of the Capetonion weather is that it changes all the time. You’ll never know what to wear. There can be lots of sunshine, but from that moment to an other, it can rain, and I don’t mean drizzle, I mean rain, the one were you get really wet of. And then two minutes later it stops and the sun shines again. Ach, maybe I should say that Dutch people are always busy with the weather. Instead of asking; "Hi, how are you", what everybody does here. Dutch people will ask you; “lekker weertje he?”

No comments:

Post a Comment